Sunday, January 8, 2012

Will you help me with my short story review?

First of all, your punctuation is pretty crazy. Second of all, I think you need to get into your character's mind a little more. What is he feeling? Show, don't tell. You're basically just listing events one after the other: "this happened, then this happened, then this happened." but not injecting much emotion into any of them. In the end, I don't care what happened to the guy because I never connected with him as a character. Why does he hate his step father? How is his mother acting different? Why can't he make friends? How did he feel about changing himself? How did he feel about his new friends? What's going through his head? As it is, it's like reading a news article. Even if the story's supposed to be moralistic, you still need to connect with your audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment